Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Meeting my quota

While I will strive to NOT post boring stuff just for the sake of posting, I want to make a solid effort to blog on a daily basis. I realize that i have very few readers right now, but that is no excuse for laziness...as a matter of fact, it's a GREAT way to build a following. I'll probably also tweak the template a few times in the near future, to see if I can get a near-perfect look to The BBC. Of course, Blogger.com is free, so I realize I can't be too picky. Still, I like what I see so far.

Anyway, let's get into discussing the Iowa game this weekend. Everybody knows how huge this game is. Before the season started, I pointed towards three games that I felt could trip up the Buckeyes....Texas, Iowa, and TTUN (That Team Up North, for fans new to the terminology). ESPN is sending GameDay to Iowa City (where Corso will probably pick the Hawkeyes just to get fans there to cheer for him). ABC has made it their nationally-televised Saturday Night College Football Game. Translation - EVERYBODY knows how huge this game is.

Still, some Iowa fans seem to think that Ohio State is overlooking the Hawkeyes and this will lead directly to our demise. Whatever gets you through the night, Herky.

Now, I am NOT underestimating Iowa when I say this....but I just don't see anything that has impressed me in the 2006 season. I'm not sure Iowa has shown why they are capable of upsetting the #1 Ohio State Buckeyes.

We've heard about how great Iowa's offense is supposed to be, behind QB Drew Tate. Yet, they've got the 40th ranked offense in the NCAA. By contrast, Northern Illinois has the 17th best offense and Texas has the 23rd best offense. Even Penn State is barely behind Iowa, ranked at 44th in the NCAA. We stifled all three of those offenses.

The Iowa defense? Not too bad....ranked 26th in the NCAA. But let's be serious here...they got that lofty ranking by playing against the offenses of Iowa State (60th-ranked offense), Illinois (63rd-ranked offense), Syracuse (99th-ranked offense) and Montana (Dision 1-AA school). They're not going to be facing a weak offense like that this Saturday.

Now, these are just the numbers as they appear on paper...you know the cliche' about the game not being played on paper, but those stats say a lot.

From what I see, if both teams play like they have been playing all year, this one's a blowout. But I won't dare predict that, because I think Iowa will be looking for the respect they badly need. The Buckeyes better be ready....but then again, I have faith in Tressel.

No comments: