Friday, January 25, 2008

Family problems

OK, so this post is to inform everyone about my whereabouts....especially since I've been away for so long.

Over the course of the past 25 years, my father has had 8 brain surgeries to have various tumors removed. All the tumors have been the non-cancerous kind, and we've been fortunate in that respect. But the every-three-years rotation of having his brain surgically repaired has taken a slow toll on him. His ability to write, his basic motor skills, his walking abilities....these have all been affected by years of health issues. He did a lot of work from his home computer, but he longer can even do that, and has had to retire.

Financially, he and my mom are fine, but the extra income is no longer available and disability checks will keep coming for another 4 years, then it's social security.

Anyway, the strain on dad's health has led him to astronomical amounts of prescription medication (and bills to go with it). So to summarize...things are rough.

Over the past few weeks, I made a decision to pack up my apartment and take over living quarters in their home. This will allow me to better take care of my dad. With me around, mom can worry less and continue to work, and being here makes it easier on me too (I'm trying to save enough money to move to Utah and marry my girlfriend).

So the past few weeks has been chock full of me working, then getting home and trying to pack up my stuff and gradually take up residence elsewhere. Normally, this would have a smaller effect on my time spent at the computer....but I made the mistake of having my utilities shut off earlier than expected, and when the cable/internet went away prematurely, I saw no need to call them back and have it restored.

So now I'm back on a more full-time basis. Yes, I'm alive and well, and yes I'll be back in full swing again. Prayers for my dad are appreciated, and thanks for caring.

Jeff, The BBC

6 comments:

Jason said...

Good luck with everything, Jeff. Here's to hoping your dad makes a speedy recovery and stays away from the operating room for a while.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your dad, but it's good to know you'll be able to take care of him.

You've got a lot of friends in Buckeye Nation. Let us know if we can help.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your dad, and thanks for letting us know. Buckeye Nation sends our best wishes.

Galen said...

My prayers are with you. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back, and my thoughts are with you.

John
(a buckeye in California)

Jim said...

Don't worry. Some things are actually more important than the Buckeyes.

My thoughts are with you and your father.

Jim
www.thebuckeyeblog.com