Friday, January 05, 2007

29 down, 3 to go

OK, I'm going to make these quick because I'm somewhat offended that lower-status bowls get played after BCS bowls. That's not right...the best ten teams should be the LAST ten teams to play.

International Bowl
Cincinnati (7-5) vs. Western Michigan (8-4)


Western Michigan has a lot of weaponry on offense...or at least ESPN says so. They're expected to win this game, especially since Cincinnati is without their head coach, Mark Dantonio, who headed off to Michigan State early.

But I've been looking at WMU's schedule and wondering about it. I see no quality wins, except for knocking off Virginia in Week 3, 17-10. They got pounded 31-7 by Central Michigan, who then sent their head coach to take over Cincinnati's program, and they lost to Ohio U. So when it comes down to it, they lost to the best schools in the MAC.

Cincinnati spent the first few weeks of the season being everybody's punching bag. Blown out 37-7 by Ohio State. 33-15 to Pitt. 29-13 to Virginia Tech. But then something happened. They started to come together. They were 16 yards away from knocking off Louisville before falling 23-17, and then they humiliated Rutgers 30-11, ending their perfect season.

I've gotta say it, new coach or not, Cincinnati came together and learned how to play in big games down the stretch. They're not a great team, but they have played enough big games that they won't get their heads caught in the clouds.

Plus, I've gotta go with Ohio teams.

Cincinnati 30
W. Michigan 20

-------------------------------
GMAC Bowl
Ohio (9-4) vs. Southern Miss (8-5)


Well, I don't know where to go with this one. I've seen them both play and I think both teams make me shrug my shoulders and say "meh".

Ohio rattled off 7 wins in a row before losing badly in the MAC title game.
Southern Miss played 5 teams that went on to Bowl Games. They went 0-5.

Make it 0-6 after Sunday night. Frank Solich has his boys in a bowl and they're excited about it. National TV with nothing else on at all during their time slot? Oh, yeah. They'll be pumped.

Plus, I've gotta go with Ohio teams.

Ohio 28
S. Miss 27

No comments: