Saturday, January 27, 2007

Oh, HELL yeah!

I sat down Wednesday night to blog about the Cavs and the Buckeyes, and I just couldn't find the words to say. I was thrilled with the way the Buckeyes faced adversity in their tough battle with Northwestern. They found themselves in a dogfight with a weaker opponent and stood their ground. The result was a win.

But the Cavs....man, how the hell do you lose to Philly when they no longer have Iverson and Webber.....at home, no less?

When I couldn't find the words, I held off. I was pissed. I tried my best to figure out a way to explain these Cavaliers. The absence of an explanation equaled an absence of blogging at the BBC.

Then the Cavaliers took the floor last night. The same Philadelphia team, this time on the road, minus LeBron James? We were in trouble, I thought. I was right for a while. We fell behind 15 points by halftime, which grew to 17 points early in the third quarter.

And then during a timeout, I saw the look in Drew Gooden's eyes. Drew already looks like a guy you would not want to face down in a darkened alley...the guy is a scary motherfucker. But this was not an angry look or a frustrated look. This was a determined look. He knew what we all know...that this team is capable of so much more, and this type of performance is no longer acceptable in a Cavaliers uniform.

I don't know if Gooden knows who Ted Stepien is. But if you know who he is, then you remember a day when crappy basketball was expected in Cleveland and nothing was done to improve it. Drew Gooden probably doesn't give a shit about Ted Stepien, but he sure as hell doesn't want to see this team settle for Stepien-like play. So he led his teammates, motivated his teammates, and gave his teammates every ounce of effort and desire. And the Cavs came back and won on the road....all without LeBron James.

Hell of an effort. I'm impressed. Next up is Phoenix, on a 16-game win streak. No preview of this one. I think I am jinxing the Cavs with my previews.

As for the Buckeyes, they have a night game tonight at home against Michigan State. Tom Izzo always has the Spartans on top of their game, so don't take this one for granted. Interesting matchup of the day - Greg Oden vs. Goran Suton. Suton is two inches shorter than Oden and is only a sophomore. Plus, he doesn't rebound the ball particularly well.

Ohio State goes in at 17-3, 5-1 in the Big Ten. MSU is 17-4, 4-2. Both teams are on their way to the NCAA Tournament, and this is exactly why a win today is big. We must beat the better teams, and here comes one of them.

No comments: