Monday, December 11, 2006

A really good Saturday

OK, allow me a personal post...I do so few of these, so be patient.

On Saturday, Troy Smith had the best day of any resident of the state of Ohio....I may have had the second-best day, though.

I went up to Cleveland to see The Lemonheads, playing a show at the Grog Shop, fast on the heels of their first studio album in 10 years. I've always been a fan of the band, even naming my cat after their lead singer Evan Dando. And if you are in your late 20s or 30s, odds are you know a song or two by them.

The band takes the stage a little after 11pm, and it's a fun, laid-back show. Up-tempo, but very intimate, like you were watching an old friend play a show. Playful banter between Dando and the people up against the stage, a few ad-libbed changes to the playlist, etc. A really good time.

Midway through the show, a girl near us calls for them to play "Mrs. Robinson", their cover of the old Simon and Garfunkel tune. They discuss it amongst each other, and Evan tells the woman that he's tired of playing the song, and asks if anybody else wants to sing it. My hand goes up right away, and he actually invites my on stage to sing the tune!!!!

So up I go, and I spend the next four minutes as the lead singer of The Lemonheads. It was exhilarating, and I loved it. Evan gave me a big hug as I left the stage, and we got to chat for a few minutes after the show. It was a night I'll never forget as long as I live.

But still, it was the second-best night that a Buckeye had. I think winning the Heisman qualifies as a better night.

No comments: