Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Visions of 1995

Last night, bored out of my mind, I went and rented "Blades Of Glory". I've seen it already, but I's a DVD geek and wanted to see the extra features. Deep down, I'm hoping they have three hours of additional footage of Jenna Fischer wearing a teddy.

I returned from the video store and turned on the Indians game, which was in the 8th inning. The Minnesota Twins were leading my Tribe 5-3. I figured if we got to the Twins in the 8th, we had a chance....but in the 9th, Minny would send their incredible closer Joe Nathan to the hill.

No such luck, we went down 1-2-3 in the 8th. Damn. Well, at least Detroit lost (AGAIN), so we'll stay 6 games up in the AL Central.

The 9th inning arrived and so did Joe Nathan. He easily took down the first two hitters, and Azdrubal Cabrera to the plate (I call him Caramel Corn...it's a long story). Cabrera whizzed a ground-rule double into right field and the tying run came to the plate in the form of Travis Hafner. Hafner destroyed the first pitch he saw over the center field wall, 430 feet of game-tying delight. The Twins, and the Tigers, were shocked.

Two innings later, the Tribe added two more runs and it was all over. Pure magic. The Indians now lead the AL Central by 7 games. Their Magic Number is now 18, and they have 24 more games to play. If they go a mere 14-10 the rest of the way, the Detroit Tigers would have to win 21 of their last 24 games to overtake us....and the Tigers have won only 16 of their last 46 games overall. Translation - ain't gonna happen, boys....this one's over!

These types of games, and the winning that has come lately for the Tribe, bring back memories of 1995, when no deficit was too big to overcome. The Indians won so many amazing games that year, and watching them was just plain fun.

I've been seeing that kind of magic lately. I saw it again last night.

But I didn't see Blades Of Glory last night. The Indians kept me up way too late.

No comments: